Monday, March 30, 2009

Next...

Monday, June 30th, 2008

Well now that I have actually got this thing to work I need to fix a coulpe things. First of all the flow regulator has to go. I just assembled a pressure regulator from pieces I had lying around and will give that a shot when I get home. The mirror alignment issue is quite annoying. I am going to build a mount from steel and strap the tube down by the mirror insulators. I am also going to try using spring loaded mirror mounts to try to keep a more constant pressure on them and also reduce the sensitivity of the screw adjustment. Third I havn’t pressure tested the system with water yet. I just picked up the final pieces I need to finish that part and will try it soon.

I have called about getting a proper sized transformer for this tube so I will be able to run it at it’s full 60mA capability. I am also trying to source some high voltage rectifier diodes to try running this on DC, I already have a suitable sized filter capacitor bank rated at 30kV for the job aswell.

I have a variac which will allow me to adjust the output. I’m not sure how well adjusting the voltage with a variac will work while still runnning AC. The arc seems to just barly start at 15kV and with a reduced voltage and a zero cross it may not restart. Running DC should be fine although, once the arc is initiaded the DC current should keep the path ionized as the voltage is dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment