Sunday, March 29, 2009

CO2 Laser Tube

This is my first semi-successful laser tube. The first one I created used a similar design but with epoxy to seal everything together. The epoxy couldn’t hold back the cooling jacked pressure from the vacuum in the laser bore and failed allowing water to seep in. One side of the laser tube sealed just fine making me think I mush have not mixed the epoxy evenly. Sorry, no pics.
This design used 2 round pieces of aluminum and plastic which squeezed a piece of rubber to seal the cooling jacket from the laser bore. I built everything on this design to be removable and replaceable. For how often I may have to change a broken laser bore or something it was just extra work I didn’t need to do.















The metal clamp hides the rubber seal in this photo. This design also seems flawed although it works much better than the first… My new laser heads and sealing method will work far better I think as long as I take more time to precisely mix the epoxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment